Are you wondering what to serve for Thanksgiving this year? Gourmet Bae Catering is here to help! Here’s a quick and easy side dish idea; Bacon Onion Brussels Sprouts. You have a combination of sweet, savory and deliciousness from the caramelized onions to the salty bacon. Oh and its healthy because of the brussels sprouts right? Follow along with my step by step recipe and learn how to make a quick and easy side dish everyone will love!
I always start a cooking project with a clean surface, and making sure I have all the ingredients I need, and in the right amounts. There’s nothing worse than starting a project and realizing you have to go to the store because you forgot something ( speaking from experience).
After I make sure that my station is good to go I start by preheating the oven to 350◦. Once the oven has preheated I cook the bacon in the oven on a parchment lined sheet pan until crispy. I save the bacon grease to use later.
Next, I cut the ends off of each sprout and then cut in half. After all the brussels were cut I tossed in olive oil and seasoned to taste and roasted in a 400◦ oven for about 10 minutes. When they come out of the oven they will have some good color to them. The sprouts will be tender and not mushy.
Last but not least , using the remaining bacon grease I sautéed one thinly sliced onion until caramelization was achieved. Originally starting out at a medium high heat, half way through I turned the fire down and allowed the onions to cook slowly so that the flavors could develop.
The final step to completing this side dish is pretty simple. Toss all ingredients together, season with salt and pepper to taste.
As always if you’d rather have a professional do the cooking, Gourmet Bae Catering is here for your meal preparation needs!
Here’s the recipe below!
Bacon Onion Brussels Sprouts
2 pounds of brussels sprouts
1 pound of cooked bacon and reserved bacon grease
2 Tablespoons of olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste
Preheat oven to 350◦
- Place bacon on a parchment lined sheet pan, and bake until crispy 12-15 minutes
- Reserve bacon fat, let bacon cool, rough chop and set aside
- Thinly slice onion and sauté on medium high heat using remaining bacon fat. Halfway through reduce the heat Cook until caramelized.
- Trim the ends of the brussels sprouts and then cut on the diagonal. Toss sprouts in olive oil, salt, and pepper and roast in the oven at 400◦ for about 10 minutes. Sprouts will be tender but not mushy.
- Take sautéed onions chopped bacon and brussels sprouts and toss together and enjoy!